In Rajasthan’s South West Jalore is situated where Jal tree was founded in huge quantity.This was the sacred groove of sage Jabali. From defence point of view it was invincible.Historians believe that in vedic ages among the nine sons of Manu his fourth son established his kingdom here that came to be known as Anart. According to Dhundumara Ayodhya’s Ikshvashu king Kuvlasav defeated the local residents and brought under his control.There after Druh &Yadavas ruled here that remained till battle of Mahabharat.
Jalore is referred as a prosperous town mentioned in Kuvalyasava written in 8th Century.There were many temples and forts here.Then it was ruled by Prathiar king Vatsaraj. After Prathiars, parmar ruled here and remained till 12 th century It is said that towards the end of 10th century Malwa’s parmar ruler Mung captured Jalore and by 1117 A.D.visal parmar ruled here.The ancestors of visal were Dharavarsh, Vijjal Aparajit, Devraj Chandan and Vakpatiraj etc.
After Visal in
Pride & Prestige of Jalore is its fort that sings its own story of valor & strength.This fort is a property of State Government’s archeological department and a protected building since 1956.To go to Jalore fort one has to go through zig-zag roads of mid of town.
It is situated in south of Jalore
This wall is around
Third gate is called Chand Pole which is more grand, strong and beautiful from others.From here onwards the rampart that runs along the way on both sides is divided into many parts and conceals within it rounded surface of mountain and then expands.The place between third & fourth gates, Fourth gate is called Sire Pole. One part of the rampart before reaching there takes a left turn upwards and touches the highest part of the mountain and the second rampart moves towards right sick and while encircling mountain peals around it meets the first boundary.
The length of the fort is ¾ Km. and breadth is half a Kilo Meter.Presently there
is palace of king Mansingh, two water reservoirs, one
Among temples the
Moving from the four faced
While entering the
The post of Viram Dev is situated on the highest of the mountain’s South East.From
here scenes could be seen afar.The flag of Jalore was being flown here.A newly built
mosque is nearby this post presently.During
In the midst of Jalore town are left remains of a grand Sanskrit school and a temple
of king Bhoj times that after passage of several centuries it speaks of its grandeur
itself.Bhoj was an intellect of Sanskrit.For the spread of education he built many
schools in his capital Dhar,
Artilleries were kept during Rathore’s tenure consequently the name Topkhana emerged for it.>After independence supply officers made it a storage for food grains.This is a protected building of Archaeological department, One security personnel is kept here.
Presently for any tourist a nominal Rs.2.00 and from students Rs.1.00 is charged as fee for visiting it. The way from panchayat samiti office towards Badi Pole leads straight towards it from Tilak Dwar also the straight way leads towards Topkhana.
In this school there is beautiful work on stone carved.On both flanks small temples are built where no idols are present now. Just in front of entrance gate is main structure built on whose strong pillars the roof is surviving.
Every pillars attracts visitors for hours of its tiny stone carvings. It is an example
of the beauty of middle ages art.The engravings of flowers, chains, elephant, bells,
vines and geometry. In the main premise one room is built
There are 276 pillars in this building and speaks of its prosperity.While entering from the main gate on the left side is temple that might had Shivling in past.Now a days there are many idols left broken.In it Vishnu,Shiv Parvati, Ganesha and Varaha idols are peculiar.In the right side of school is flank, beautified by raw art.It is felt that its construction was continuous but because of some reasons it was left over.
The same thing is with main arch of canopy the outside of which is also incomplete. The proper maintenance of it can definitely attract tourist and foreigners.
Sire Mandir Temple of Jalore:
Being the sacred groove of sage Jabali many saints came & meditated here.Pandawas
spent some of there time here and king Bhruthhari’s path leader Suanath and his
disciples made it there home. There are many temples for Shiva & Shakti present
here, out of which
West of Jalore on Kalashachal Sire temple is situated on
From valley of mountain to temple it is only
Sire temple is the house of lord Shankar built by Raja Ratan Singh known as
Here there is one Jhalara,a big Mansarovar, Non Stop ‘Dhunna’, Dinning Hall,
Presently in the undertaking of Mahant Shantinath Ji Maharaj new construction had taken place and plantation on mass basis happened.There is facility of both Telephone & electricity.On the other side water facility for tourists is available 24 hours.
In front of Ratneshwar temple one big elephant of cement & stone is built. Being
the sacred groove of Yogi Jalandhar Nath Ji, it also a sacred groove of Yogi Suanath,
Dev Nath, Bhawani Nath, Bhairunath, Phoolnath Kesarnath and Bholenath also.
This place is quiet magnificent naturally and inspires one to come back again.
Lohanagarh of Jaswantpura:
Afterwards due to economic disruptions king Rana salji Dewal became a dacoit his
army kept dacoiting in Marwar province.Hence
During Riyasat time hukumat headquater was established here.After independence Tehsil was established then it was transferred to Bhinmal.This area is rich in wild life.Tigers,boars,bears, monkeys etc strays into nearby villages so many times.
Fort of Kot Kasta:
In building this wall mountain was also used as wall. Outside this fort’s boundary wall one big wall was also made, to enter those two big and two small gates were made.In this way nearby Kasta a village named Kot settled here.Village inside fort’s boundary wall was called Kot and outside it Kasta and jointly come to be known as Kot Kasta.
Nearly 200 years old this Naths fort consists of there storeyed palace rampart, tower and huge entry gate and many other construction could be found.From the twilight of sum fort could be seen from quiet a distance.Though small in size it is though beautiful and strong.In defensive walls there are place lift for firing artillery and gunfire.Being situated on mountain top artillery might have been huge success.In the valley of mountain there is flat ground and on the other side there being route of rainy river named Kapal Ganga it is not possible to attack it instantly.
On both sides of village’s walls its huge gates can be seen still today.Out of them condition of one is comparatively good this gate was used as main entry point to the village.By entering it and taking raw road towards mountain one could reach the huge gate of fort’s limit.
A stone could be seen half buried in the earth while moving ahead on the left side have on it a horse engraved with an umbrella on its back.From moving here onwards the stairs of the gate comes.Right side stairs leads directly towards main gate.On both sides of gate huge platforms are built.It is not easy to decipher one of the stone inscriptions struck on right rostrum.
At the main gate of fort a huge wood gate in half broken condition is present that
is closed from inside now.This fort is still under the vicinity of Nath community.That’s
why this gate is still safe fort is three storeyed.Its rooms lobby, peepholes, office
are very beautiful.No one is living in this palace for centuries, that’s why it
has place for bats to live in.In the fort there could be sen ladies sitting room,
court and traditional construction. In
Quila or Fort of Bhadrajun:
54 Km. away from district headquarter Bhadrajun is settled on Jalore-Jodhpur road.It
gets it name from Subhadra and his husband Mahabhart’s brave hero Arjun.Subhadra-Arjun
in time lag disrupted to Bhadrajun.It is said that where on the permission of Lord
Shri Krishna Arjun lifted Subhadra from Dwarika stayed here on the way.There marriage
had also taken place here only.One Brahmin of nearby village conducted their marriage.Arjun
gave his conch shell(Shankh) and Subhadra gave her ear ring as gift to Brahmin.That’s
why the name this village is sankhvali Near Bhadrajun a small
These people are Jodha Rathores descendants of Rao Maldev IInd son Ratan Ji.This Ratan Ji’s stone inscription could be seen today also near Neelkanth village’s famous temple of lord Shiva.27 villages were under this jagir with an annual income of 31,850 Rs. In whole of marwar leaving royal family wives only 290 Tajimi landlord’s wives were allowed to ear gold bracket on legs.
In the court of Maharaja of
Rao Jodha started the tradition of sitting right or left in his court.On his right
side he gave place to his brothers and to sons on the left.For this reason landlords
who were descendants of brothers of Rao Jodha were seated right and landlords of
Jodha’s sons descendants to the left.That’s why ‘Raja’ of Bhadrajun sat on right
side of Maharaja.Afterwards Raja Suraj Singh changed ranks according to Mughal rulers
and introduced Tajim system for landlords.Pokhran had 100 villages and
The fort of Bhadrajun was under its landlord which was built on mountain top.It
is small but strong mountain fort.Present descendants of Bhadrajaun’s Landlord Raja
Gopal Singh also remained speaker of Rajasthan Assembly in 1977.Still whenever former
Raja Gopal Singh enters
Sundha Mata Temple:
Fountains flowing whole year and hotel at the valley made in yellow sandstone of Jaisalmer attracts everyone.Sundha temple is made up of while marble, the pillars reminds the art of Abus’s Delwara temple pillars.
A very beautiful idol of goddesses Chamunda is present under the huge stone.Here Chamunda’s head is worshipped.It is said that the trunk of mother Chamunda are established in Korta and legs in Sundarla Pal(Jalore). One phrase is also popular in marwar in this context.
In front of mother Chamunda a BhurBhuva Swaweshwar Shivling is established.The Sundha
inscription is of peculiar importance in historical sense-like the Harishen inscription
In the main temple duo idol of Shiva & Parvati Ganesh’s idol are considered very old & extinct.Various communities have build dinning halls where fresh food is served free of cost, food is also prepared as per order.
During Navratri tourist from
Recently Ropeway facility has been established here for climbing the mountain.
In the climbing place a big hotel is made by the Trust that is quite a destiny for visitor to rest during night and enjoy the scenery of mountain
On the way to Raniwara & Sanchore approximately 125 Km away from district headquarter
one big temple of 8th Century A.D. of lord Shiva is situated.It’s minute
stone craft is competent enough not only in Rajasthan but also any of good middle
It is said that approximately 1200 to 1300 years before there was grazing ground outside village for cattle.One day at a definite place milk of one cow drained out automatically. The master of the cow took it casually.But it became routine for 3-4 days.He kept vigil one evening and went astonished on seeing that cow went to that place itself and the milk flowed out of its breasts automatically.He told the instance to his family members and villagers. Senior members of village deliberated on the matter and decided to dig the place.They founded one Shiv ling out of it.
The news spreaded like wild fire. People visited in large quantities to saw shiv linga. Then A huge temple was built on that place by peoples’ co-operation labour & money spent for several years temples of various gods & goddesses were also built around Shiv temple. One water reservoir was also built.For this reason only the place come to be known as Shiv Vaada or Shivala that in present day changed to Sevada.
Mohammad Gazni, Mohammad Ghori, Alaudin Khilji and Palanpur’s Nawab destroyed this temple tremendously while raiding Somnath temple and it was repaired so many times. Thirteenth Century inscription is still present in the temple premise mentioning repair of temple.The roof top is absent now and the whole temple seems destroyed from above.It seems that the green trees of religion, faith & culture had been cut into pieces. In the whole temple complex old artistic pillars, idols, small temples could be seen broken.During Shravan month every day scenes of fair are visible. On Shivratri and every Monday villagers from nearby come here for prayer.
Jagnath Mahadev is one of the two temples built by Rudal Devi, situated
New Shiva temple was established nearby.>It is also possible that this temple was destroyed by attackers.Whatever might be the reason broken stone inscription in temple complex testifies to the fact that it was built here by Rudal Devi. Repairing of the temple again & again have left many stone & pillar inscriptions destroyed. Only those pillars are safe on whom idols were present thinking it to be sacred. Some pillars are used in construction in such a way that the written part is buried. Luckily one stone inscription of Rudal Devi is still safe from which the original situation is known.
1264 Vikram Samvat’s one stone inscription is fitted in rostrum whose only one half
part is readable rest remain buried. It is felt from idols that this inscription
is of Rudal Devi but not of the time of establishment and felt that in 1264 Vikaram
In Bhadrajun Tehsil of Jalore district on the verges of Jalore, Pali & Barmer
Neelkanth village is famous for
It is said that here one widow lady saw a Shivlinga and she regularly started praying it.Envied by the strong faith of the lady here family members tried hard to bury it but it appeared again but again out of earth with the influx sand. In this way huge mound of sand emerged there. Taking it to be a Charismatic, Shivlinga temple was established there.
It is said to be a very old temple.According to a general belief when the army of
Alauddin Khilji attacked Jalore they tried to destroy Shiv Linga. But they were
attacked instead by black bees. Broken by the terror of black bees soldiers run
away.Alauddin Khilji then prayed mercy from Shiva and promised to build a grand
temple at the place. His prayer was listened and Alauddin kept his promise constructing
a western faced mosque structured temple.Facts prove that on Alauddin’s Jalore expedition
firstly he had to attack Siwana to gain his main motive from
This temple might have been repaired so many times because in temple complex there
are so many broken idols of gods & goddesses and pillars & stone inscriptions
could be found lying.One stone inscription dates 1853 Samvat and
Jahaz Temple Mandwala:
Mandwala village is
This temple not only attracts Jains but also other community people.
In the month of Marhsrish’s(Krishna Paksha) 6th day Kanti Sagar Suriswar ji Maharaj entered this village, as soon as he entered he was struck with fever. Determining the frequency of his fever he called his favorite disciple Maniprabh sagar and told him that his last time has come. He died the next day on Saptami.The place where Maharaj Sagar Suriswarji was cremated disciple Maniprabh sagar ji built one ship structured like groove and places idol of his guru on to the ground floor.
Hundreds of pilgrims from all over the state and country comes here for drowning themselves into divinity. There is also established idol of Shantinath Bhagwan in ship temple.
There is facility of beautiful dinning hall and huge rest house.Telephone No. of temple’s office is 56107.
This ship temple is of its own kind in whole
Jain Pilgrim Bhandavpur:
Bhandavpur that was previously a part of Mangalva Gram Panchayat now is itself a gram panchayat and is 65 Km. away from Jalore District headquarter and 2 Km. from Sayla panchayat samiti towards sindhiri Bhinmal road it is situated.
Here there is huge Jaina temple 600 years old. The statue of Lord Mahavir Swami
is 1200 years old here in this temple. Visitors from Madhya Pradesh and
Being an ancient temple it has been repaired three times. For first time it was
repaired in 1359 Vikram Samvat, Secondly in 1654 Samvat and in 1988 for third time
by Swetambar Jain Shri Sangh. The guru
According to a local tradition it is said that during Vikram Samvat’s seventh century there was a town named Besala 10-15 Km. away from here. There were hundred of house of very prosperous Savetambar Bisa Oswal. In Besala now there are thousands of house of other community also.At that time in 813 Vikram Samvat Migsar on the day of Shukla Saptemi grand temple was laid foundation of with idol of Lord Mahavir220 rooms rest house and a huge dinning hall is run by the trust here.
Fair is held 2 times in a year. Posh Shukla 7th to Guru Saptami and Chaitra Sudh thirteenth to full moon day for three days fair is held which is attended by people from various places & nearby town.
By contacting the temple reception No. 02977-53433 one can avail facility of food & lodging.
Ahore's Bawan (52) Jinalaya Jain Temple:
20 km. away from District headquarter Jalore on the way to Jalore-Falna is situated
Ahore Tehsil Jodhpur is
From starting rulers here felicitated Jain religion. Present landlord Yashwant Singhji gifted walking stick, tail for whishking flies and palanquin to Shrimad Rajendra Surishwarji Maharaj as respect.
The Bawan Jinalay temple of Godi Parshavnath constructed in white marble was build by Shrimad Rajendra Surishwar Ji in 1936 Vikram Samvat’s Magh Shukla Dashmi.This jain temple is beautified by 52 lords.It is big and heart catching.There are five more temples worth visiting and two rest houses where Jain Saints & Saintess visits frequently.>Dinning facility is commendable but lodging is only of middle class available.In Ahore old Jain literature pandulipis(manuscripts) are being kept in good shape.
Jain Temple Bakra Road:
Parshavnath temple near Bakra road railway station is becoming famous for its grandifice
and artistic work and is on the very of getting status of Jaina pilgrimage.
This temple was established in 6 Magh Sudhi 2054 Vikram Samvat(Dated 2 Feb.,1998).Every year on Posh Magh Shukla saptami big fair is held here on the birth & nirvana date of Gurudev Rajendra Surishwar Ji.
Main temple is built 7 feet up from earth crest where it is the seat of Shri Parshavnath Bhagwan one the top and roof of temple there are big turrets where rounded wheels are engraved everywhere adding to the beauty of the building.It is an strong exempts of modern art facilities of fooding & lodging is quiet commendablely run by the trust Shri Thirtendra Surishwarji mark sangh.
Three star facilities equipped Mayur Hotel & resort is only
Kirti Stambh & Nandishwar Deep Tirth Jalore:
India famed Nandishwar deep tirth is located in front of Collectorate office of
Jalore district Headquarter on the main road. In whole of
Southern to Nandishwar Deep temple in front of main entrance is
It was established on Vikram Samvat dated 10 Sudh of 2038.Every year on 10th of Sudh month’s big fair is held here.
Near Nandishwar Deep’s western gate, Asthapadh temple is present where asthapadh pilgrims statues are established in all four sides indicating the 24 tirthankars.
For visitors there is facility of fooding & lodging available that is run by Nandishwar Deep trust.Office Phone No. is 02973-222334.Travellers to Nakoda ji comes here in large no. everyday.